Tuesday, July 04, 2006

weight loss food : If You're Happy And You Know It, Don't Get Fat

Lead researcher Dr. Greg E. Simon, senior investigator at The Center For Health Studies in Seattle, Washington, watched 9,125 adults in his study using his professional skills both as a psychiatrist and health services researcher to determine the overall mental health of the study participants. Close to 25 percent of the study participants were obese.

What Dr. Simon discovered was that the obese study members were one-fourth MORE likely to experience a depressed mood and exhibit certain anxiety disorders as compared to the non-obese study members. Interestingly, though, the obese people in the study were one-fourth LESS likely than the skinnier ones to begin abusing drugs or alcohol ostensibly to relieve them of their pain. That is probably due to the fact that they turned to food as their "drug" to comfort them.

That's always baffled me how some people choose to abuse their bodies by sticking a needle in their arm, a bottle of alcohol in their mouth, or popping pills while others eat an entire gallon of rocky road ice cream. Both experience traumatic pain that makes them want to escape, but both seem to find the appropriate "high" they are looking for by picking their poison. I really don't know which is worse!

The conclusion of this study was a mixed bag and it has Dr. Simon pondering the chicken or the egg theory: do obese people get that way because they got depressed and ate their way into obesity trying to feel better or did the depression begin as a result of the public scorn and ridicule that comes from being obese? The surprising answer is that it could be BOTH! And a laughing diet won't make things any better either!

As happy as I thought I was when I weighed 410 pounds a few years back, deep down inside I knew I was a hurting man. Not physically, although there were signs my body was breaking down, but mentally and emotionally. While I never fell into this deep fit of depression that I couldn't come out of, there were self-image problems that I had to deal with being fat.

Do you know bad it hurts to have people staring at you in disbelief that you allowed yourself to get morbidly obese wearing a size 62 inch waist pants and 5XL shirts? How about when I tried to say hello to you when I saw you walking by and you all but ignored me? And can you even put yourself in my shoes at that moment when I sit down in the driver's seat of my car only to hear the horrifying sound of me ripping my pants wide open?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?